I know, I know. You hate the Turkish getup. You don’t get it. It seems overly complicated. I know.
But isn’t that true about most moves we do? Until you put a barbell in your hands, isn’t a strict press really easy? Once you master the movement and start using heavier weights, you will see the benefit of this move. Here’s a great article from Breaking Muscle about the benefits of the Turkish Getup. If you don’t have time to read it, here are the highlights:
Here’s a short list of everything that we can get from within a single get up:
- Single leg hip stability during the initial roll to press and during the bridge.
- Both closed and open chain shoulder stability.
- Shoulder mobility.
- Thoracic extension and rotation.
- Hip and leg mobility and active flexibility.
- Stability in two different leg patterns – lunge stance as well as squat stance.
- Both rotary and linear stability.
- The ability to link movement created in our extremities to the rest of our body.
Give this skill work an honest effort and it will greatly improve many aspects of your fitness.